Friday 3 December 2010

Let in snow

Our  village is currently under seige from the snow and the community is pulling together in lots of little ways. From pushing the milk float up the hills, voluntary rashioning at the bakers and sharing a hip flask on the slopes... it's all good to see.

These wintery scenes of folk going about their business put me in mind of a piece of vintage barkcloth I've had for quite a while now. I know it is very rare and depicts a scene from a painting called "Sugaring Off" that captures a community collecting and making maple syrup the traditional way.  I've blogged before about the work of the amazing lady  artist Grandma Moses.
It seemed wrong for it to be languishing in the fabric cupboard any longer so as a tribute to community spirit in the snow it is now transformed into two  lovely lampshades. I've lined them with an old gold PVC which gives off a super warm glow. You'll find one atop a glossy red lamp in the shop.

2 comments:

  1. that is the prettiest lamp I have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most beautiful lamp ever, I am completely in love with it. Is it a keeper or for sale?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails